In the Midst of All the Chaos There is Something to Smile About


The year 2020 has been a doozie!  Guess what?  We are only half way through it.  It's almost scary in a way to think about tomorrow especially when you read about all that's going on.  Therefore, I practice living in the present.  I practice loving every minute of the present.  Of course there are times I miss the mark but I bring myself back.  Of course there are times I didn't even do that.  When I was younger I spent my days and nights dreaming about the future, always wanting something better.  As a person almost middle age, I caught myself reflecting on yester-years, "the old days" way too much.  That's when my practice of living in the present began.  I was like, "Girl, you are doing way too much."

Now each day I tell myself if I do not want to repeat old situations, then stop reflecting on "the old days".  Surely, I am not telling anyone (to include myself) not to reflect, especially when it comes to really really good times that have past.  All I am saying is, memories are like a slow train.  They never end.  You'll find yourself going down old streets and around old corners where eventually that old vicious dog you out ran comes back out to terrorize you all over again.  I'll tell you all about that some other day :-)  What a memory!  

Some times, going down memory lane becomes a never ending cycle of hell unless you have trained yourself only to revisit that which served/serves you well.  Most of us do not.  Most of us remember the bad times better than the good.

Let me get back on track...the right train track :-)  

Whew!  

I want to remind you all that in the midst of all the racial chaos there is something to smile about.  There is always something to smile about.  I got up this morning, as I always do, in gratitude.  Morning is the highlight of my day.  Morning gives me a feeling of having a chance to be the best person I can be all over again.  I always tell myself that today is going to bring good things and good people my way.  

This morning was no different. I stepped right into my full body armor of gratitude and headed out the door for my morning walk.  Before going to walk, I stopped by the garbage dump to unload a few bags.  While getting the bags out, I spoke to the gentlemen there as always, gave my bright cheery smile, and engaged in a little chit chat as they admired my dog (Cupid).  Before I left, one of the guys asked me to check out the items he had on the trash compactor.  He said someone was getting ready to throw the items away but he stropped them because they were beautiful to him.  When I saw what he had pointed to, I was taken a-back.  I just thought he had something there to make his area beautiful in the midst of all the trash.  I could not believe anyone would want to part with the items.  Before I could say goodbye, the gentleman asked if I wanted them.  I looked in amazement.  I didn't know what to say.  All I could say was, "You want to give them to me? They look expensive (in the sense of being a family heirloom)."  He asked me if I wanted them.  I asked, "I can have them?" He responded yes.  He added, "You gave me the best smile.  Therefore, I want to give you something just as pretty."  

Wow!

Here is why I felt so grateful - 

First of all, I had spent almost a week and a half thinking I contracted COVID 19.  I don't know if anyone knows but if you aren't sick, waiting on test results can definitely make you sick.  Thankfully, I found out yesterday that I got a big fat NEGATIVE!  

Secondly, so much crap has been going on...this race against that race...the president doing his many thangs...kids are out of school for an unknown period of time...people are losing their lives left and right etc.  Third, folks are so afraid to interact with one another for fear of contracting something or losing their life for some other reason.  

Need I go on? 

I'm sure you understand.  Like they say, "We are all in this together."  You all can attest to this.  People pretty much go on about their day as if they are in a bubble.  Me included.  Although I do find a way to be as respectful/courteous as I can be while remaining in my bubble.  Being grateful and courteous is where my mind was this morning.

Anyway, to my astonishment, my energy was contagious. I received something valuable from a very unlikely source, which is the best the best part in my opinion.  The gift was from a white man and I am a black woman.  Not that it makes any difference but today I think it kind of does.  Last year I probably would have never thought to write about this experience if it had happened then.  However, today is so very different to me.  It feels different.  I know I am not the only one to feel this way.  Am I?  

The entire encounter gave me hope in humanity.  I know there are going to be some imperfect times.  We are imperfect people.  However, I must remember to embrace times that display the true essence of people...love.  In the midst of all the chaos there is ALWAYS something to smile about.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Beginning

Abundance Prayer - The Prayer of Daniel

The Reflection of Neediness